Grey Pizza

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Donations (BTC): 1DMzymyV7DeYoZ9ijXH6fnTJKN6ov3vnNJ

Author Topic: Blockstack: A New Internet for Decentralized Applications  (Read 215 times)

baltimore

• View Profile
Blockstack: A New Internet for Decentralized Applications
« on: February 01, 2018, 02:44:51 PM »

https://blockstack.org/

The traditional internet has many central points of failure and trust, like (a) the Domain Name System (DNS) servers, (b) public-key infrastructure, and (c) end-user data stored on centralized data stores. We present the design and implementation of a new internet, called Blockstack, where users donít need to trust remote servers. We remove any  trust points from the middle of the network and use blockchains to secure critical data bindings. Blockstack implements services for identity, discovery, and storage and can survive failures of underlying blockchains. The design of Blockstack is informed by three years of experience from a large blockchain-based production system. Blockstack gives comparable performance to traditional internet services and enables a much-needed security and reliability upgrade to the traditional internet.

Blockstack is an open-source effort to re-decentralize the internet; it builds a new internet for decentralized applications and enables users to own their application data directly. Blockstack uses the existing internet transport layer (TCP or UDP) and underlying communication protocols and focuses on removing points of centralization that exist at the application layer.  Alternate transport layer protocols, like new mesh networking protocols, can be supported with Blockstack.

No One

• View Profile
Re: Blockstack: A New Internet for Decentralized Applications
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 03:42:15 AM »

This is one of those things we have to see to believe.

It requires consensus. It sounds like an endeavor as huge as going to mars.

In the other hand I agree with the motivations. So many disastrous hacks happened due to the centralized nature of DNS architecture. While I donít believe this project will see the light of day, I sure as hell support the idea behind it.

baltimore

• View Profile